Monday, November 15, 2010

The First Spider

written by Isaiah Baily

Long, long ago in Ancient Greece, a youthful girl named Arachne spun a beautiful cloth. When she had hung it up and was admiring it she proclaimed, "No clot is as beautiful as mine!" As she said this, the goddess Athena who was fair but stern, in a cloud of smoke, appeared in the door way.

"I am the goddess Athena!" she remarked. "And I have heard your boast. Let us both weave. The loser will never knit again." Later Arachne set up her loom in the shade of a mulberry tree, and Athena set up her loom in the sky.

Arachne spun a cloth of marvelous beauty but Athena's clot was far beyond compare. Athena took of the sunbeams and of the autumn woods. When Arachne saw Athena's cloth she cried out in fear. "Oh, how will I make my living now that I may never use a loom and spindle!" On seeing this Athena took pity on the girl. She turned Arachne into a spider who immediately began to weave and spin merrily thus the first spider came into existence.


(This year we are reading through Ancient myths and folklore and using them as a springboard for our writing. Using a book from the Institute for Excellence in Writing, I am very pleased at the progress Isaiah is making in his efforts. Hope you enjoyed his latest work.)

No comments: