Friday, February 20, 2009

A Farewell to Africa

Today, we concluded our study of Africa. We learned about its animals and land, its people and their customs, and even a little about their food. We read about David Livingstone, a pioneer missionary that explored inland Africa in the 1800's. We spent time reading about the Masai people of Tanzania and Kenya. We found no shortage of library books about African animals including the lion, elephant, gorilla, zebra, cheetah, and the honey guide.


Here is a photo of our "Masai beaded collar necklaces." Our version created with paper plates and markers.





(Photograph Copyright © 2006 Maasai Education Discovery)

As for African animals, we focused on the African Elephant. We watched a wonderful video series called "Echo." Putting all we learned into a project, we created these beautiful lapbooks. I love to make lapbooks, because each child gets to express all they learned in a creative and personal way. Here is a glimpse of all their hard work.



What's next on our itinerary....Asia!

1 comment:

Cari said...

Good job with school! I am impressed. Seems that they are learning a lot! I can't wait to travel the different countries with my kiddos!