Our neighborhood is rapidly changing. Houses that have sat abandoned for several years are now being torn down and will be replaced by new dwellings and green space. It's so exciting!
Here are photos of the destruction in progress. This house sits on the corner of our alley. Our yard and chain link fence are just across the alley from the action. 
In only about two hours the four car garage was totally demolished and the debris mostly carted away.
Around 11:30 a.m., Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl stopped by for a photo op. We made sure to hustle out side to shake hands. The kids introduced themselves, and Isaiah requested that the mayor build a park in place of the old houses. We have limited green space in this neighborhood and children don't have a park nearby to play at. He told us that a park is included in the plans for this neighborhood, not necessarily right outside our door, but close by.

The kids are still at the window watching the destruction. Thankfully, most of our school work was completed by the time the mayor arrived. And with all the excitement, I'm not sure even I could focus this afternoon.
1 comment:
uhh... could you please go out and supervise to help ascertain that they don't demolish any of the wrong ones?
The one in the picture looks a lot like the one that is a few houses up from yours on Sheridan. So when I first saw it, I thought "oh no!" I was just admiring that one last night when I walked by, on the way to your house. ...but it must not be the one, since the pictured one is on Collins.
Post a Comment